[pianotech] difficult jobs - square grand hammer alignment

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 17 18:46:50 MDT 2012

Patrick P. said: "While we're on the subject of difficult jobs - does
anyone have an efficient
way of aligning hammers on a square grand to the strings? I am finding it
difficult to get the hammers in the upper treble to line up to the strings,
and am wondering if there is a better way than marking each key, pulling
the
keyboard, moving the flange, and then replacing the keyboard in the hope
that the hammers are now hitting the right strings ONLY."

Patrick,
If you have replaced the hammers, then the first time through is major
chaos! I would suggest removing the second one in, on each section. Then
you will have room to move all of the hammers in the direction needed and
not bind up so much. It is possible to use a VERY long screwdriver to do
the rough spacing. It's an acquired skill.<G> Once you have them close,
then it's in/out a lot with the action to get it right on. After you've
done that then replace the 2nds and space them for clearance. Odds are that
you'll hit those right on.<G> I modified a rubber mute/wire handle thang,
by bending the wire loop arm out to 90 degrees. Slip it in, wire side down,
holding on to the rubber mute, (good grip). Slide it down along the hammer
shank and turn 90 degrees, (under the shank), and gently lift the
shank/hammer to the string. My "coding is ">" or "<" and making them LARGE
to major move in that direction. Or, very small for slight movements in
that direction. It is hard on the back, to be sure, but I can get them all
on the right strings, in about an hour.<G> YMMV! Oh, I'm doing all this
from the Key side of the piano. Also, it is helpful to have a grand piano
action cart, like the one LaRoy Sells. One major thing: Use the Pull
Handle! Every Time! W/O fail!<G> If the action does not have a pull handle
use a stringing hook on the front key pins, in the cent of the action.
Also, it helps to Teflon the key bed, so it slides easier. If the key bed
is warped, this job gets more difficult. DAMHIK <G>
Hope that helps,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police