[pianotech] who pays?

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Oct 19 10:54:33 MDT 2012

 Question; If the factory rebuild carries the same quality and warranty as new, why should anyone ever buy a new piano? (They aren't. In this economy, there buying used and rebuilt.)Aren't they kind of shooting themselves in the foot here?----Greg

 Yes, they shoots themselves and certainly without our help
  Dennis E., Ron N and I looked at an A-2 in Rochester 2005 that had been just restored in the Stwy Restoration center and was on display there. We ran a crown string across the bottom and no residual crown. We discovered it had a freshly oil canned Genuine Steinway built soundboard and it sounded very unmusical. It had all genuine Steinway parts. Enough said.
  I guess I'm ticked because the marketing is personally insulting to me and many, many of you.

Just imagine the good will they could engender by spinning it differently, by saying there are quite a few small shops around the country doing a very admirable job of rebuilding our pianos ( and Large. ie. Ac pianocraft, Faust Harrison, Pianocraft (Keith Kerman) in Maryland). How about encouraging techs to use their parts instead of being so pedantic, heavy handed and isolationist.

 Look at race cars. All the american autos;... Ford,GM, Chrysler are raced highly modified and covered with endorsement logos.  I have never ever heard one of those manufacturers say if it doesn't have 5 thousand Ford parts it not a Ford. Heck they're happy for the exposure.
   So the truth is, that if someone buys a product from anyone, it belongs to them.....and if they wish to rebuild, modify,codify, or hot rod it to higher levels of performance, doesn't that speak well of the basic version, the basic platform, that it has that kind of potential.
I'm just saying

Dale