[pianotech] Blocks

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 15:19:25 MDT 2012

Dave/ Ron
 As many know we make a quarter sawn maple block with a 5 mm delignit top cap. Trix always put 4 coils on the pins in the top treble section as per original for the reasons of the pin depth issue stated below. After noticing the difference in torque from plain wire to bass strings we  drill our treble with the usual 6.5 mm bit(.2557 and are trying a block drilling the bass with a 6.4 which equal .252 to see if we like the feel better.
 Since the wire is thicker in the bass and makes for a taller coil the other solution is insert a longer pin. Any thoughts on that? seems to me 6 one way and 1/2 dozen the other.Dunno

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com