[pianotech] Cleaning tuning pins

Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:29:11 MDT 2012

The short version.......Scrubbing bubbles. paint brush, vacuum cleaner.

Al -
High Point, NC

On Oct 22, 2012, at 8:45 AM, Paul Mulik <paulmulik at yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm fixing up a Samick vertical. It's a quick craigslist flip, needs only minor repairs and some cosmetic work.

The nickel-plated tuning pins were looking dull and a little rusty, so I polished them up with one of those gizmos with the rubber cylinder inserts that chucks into an electrical drill.  I also shined the treble strings up with one of those hard rubber polishers that looks like a brown eraser.  This all worked great and everything's nice and shiny now except for the non-speaking segments of the strings in the tuning pin area. Any suggestions on how to clean that area?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik