[pianotech] Blocks

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 15:19:01 MDT 2012

 Ron writes:
>>,It's not how many times a year you look, it's how many seasonal
extremes they've been through. I don't understand why the concept of
wood under compression crushing cumulatively with big humidity cycles
is such a tough concept.<

           It is a simple concept. I am of the opinion that it isn't a
problem on the blocks I have direct experience with.  Some of these
pianos I am talking about got their blocks in the early 1980's. If I
don't see any appreciable lateral movement of the pin through the block
after 30 years, I am not going to let that be a determining factor in
my technique.
Ed Foote RPT