[pianotech] (no subject)

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:30:32 MDT 2012

Paul,
I am assuming that you were asking about how to clean the strings but
Al's suggestion on using scrubbing bubbles to clean the plate is one I
posted and I totally agree. That will clean the plate very nicely. I
actually have found I like a round parts cleaning brush from an auto
store because it has 2 inch long stiff nylon bristles that get down
between the strings or between the tuning pins. They are cheap ($2). I
used to use a cheap 4 inch brush but the hairs have to be combed out
fairly often if you want to reach all the way down to the soundboard.
The stiffer parts brush can easily reach the soundboard through the
strings to stir up the dirt in order to vacuum it up through the
strings. But I am getting ahead of the story.

First, clean the rusty strings with a maroon Scotchbright pad dampened
with Ballistol gun oil. It dissolves the rust and helps to hold the
rust in the scotchbright pad rather than distributing the rust and
debris down to the plate or soundboard as the eraser does. When the
strings are clean and bright-and it only take a minute or two, then
use the scrubbing bubbles with the long bristle brush and a strong
vacuum/blower to brush and blow the bubbles out from under the
strings. I like using a Metro vac in blower mode to blow the bubbles
to a corner where I have a rag ready to soak up the bubbles and dirt.
It takes longer to describe it than to do it. An air compressor works
too. If a shop vac is really strong, it may suck up the bubbles from
below the strings also. Use a crevis tool to get the strongest
suction. Let us know how you like the method.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc

Message: 1