[pianotech] Curiously curvaceous repetition lever

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Wed Oct 24 17:00:19 MDT 2012

<On Sep 24, 2012, at 7:31 PM, David Boyce <David at piano.plus.com> wrote:
<Found this action in a 1920s Schroter piano, a make I've not encountered before, piano or action.  How undulating!
<Action from Schroter piano.jpg>

Sorry to come in so late on this 4 week old thread, but I actually have some real information!
The action in question was  developed in 1921 by Johannes Jakob Bender.  The design with the jack being triggered by the rep lever coming into contact with the drop screw (which doubles as a let-off adjustment!) ensures simultaneous escapement.  The intent of the design was to alleviate let-off resistance, however, it does not really fulfill this claim.
How do I know this????  I recently attended a convention and won a great door prize: Pfeiffer's book "The Piano Hammer".  I recognized the action drawing in the book.
Regarding the piano maker:  According to the European Piano Atlas, there were 2 Schröter companies in Berlin 100 years ago but only one was in business in the 1920s.  The piano inquestion must be a Reinhold Schröter which produced up until 1930. (The atlas will be available through Piano Forte next month)

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte
(250) 754-2440

www.pianofortesupply.com