[pianotech] wrap - no wrap lines

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Thu Oct 25 16:06:05 MDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
> ...But then we get lots of chances to try again as the same
> untrimmed replies are sent repeatedly. ... System not followed is no
> system.

It's worse than that.

The trend is toward mobile devices. Back in the mid-2000's RIM was
riding high on the tails of the Microsoft mail system which encouraged
"top-posting," the practice of including the entire replied email
message as a quote underneath your composition area. Since this was
unwieldy on low-powered Blackberry devices, its accompanying server
simply assumed you wanted to top-post, and didn't even display it for
trimming. It attached the entire replied message to yours on the way
out.

This became standard practice for mobile devices, including iPhone
(which is at least powerful enough to give you the opportunity to
trim). But the convention has been set.