[pianotech] Bridge agraffes FYI

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Oct 26 07:06:32 MDT 2012

Ron O said:

<Indeed, and the lower bridge root height would tend to allow the board
more flexibility over its speaking area, which would lower impedance and
would allow for something of a more distorted tone, ie. honking tone.
Lack of board stiffness would seem to be one of the most commonly
overlooked factors, when it comes to tone building.

I wonder then...Fast forward to the current Phoenix system. The bridge
height reduction/stiffness problem, at least in a retrofit, has to be
present since there is maybe a little room to raise the plate, but not
10mm or whatever the height of a Phoenix aggrafe is...no?  If this is
so, meaning retrofit Phoenix agraffe bridge height is reduced and the
stiffness/load contributed by the bridge is reduced, does the fact that
these agraffes function with zero bearing change the calculus of overall
board impedance?

I guess the first shot at answering this would be to know what bridge
height is on a Steingraber Phoenix, or (I believe) Stuart Pianos, pianos
which I assume were designed with the agraffes in mind from the ground up?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com