[pianotech] cuddly die grinders

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sat Oct 27 13:52:09 MDT 2012

Those of you who abuse plates, that is grind off duplexes, or what have
you, how do you get in close to either the struts or in tight sections
without resorting to a file and bloody knuckles?

I have  4" angle grinder which does most of the damage pretty quickly.
Then I often try to switch to a 1/4" die grinder, but that really
doesn't cut the mustard, at least not the way I'm set up with it. The
die grinder only uses "surface prep" wheels which are not aggressive
enough, even the 36 grit, to take down serious metal. Any other
approaches to the tight spots?  Are there tiny grinding wheels for a die
grinder, as opposed to the tiny dremel cutoff wheels which are not
terribly useful in this particular application either?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com