[pianotech] Opinion on Termite Damaged Piano Requested

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:23:24 MDT 2012

Wim,

The customer (military) bought it from another family here in Waynesville who I assume was also military.  So, the current family I'm sure did not have it tested and don't know about the former family who owned it.  As I mentioned before, a previous technician...(the name escapes me and didn't write it down) in Hawaii noted that an ant colony was "exterminated", whatever that means....and whatever method he used I don't know.  "Tested" for termites, I doubt.

I'm assuming the damage was from Hawaii but that's what's confusing me, the tech notes, if I remember correctly, said ant colony...so now I'm confused. I was assuming that his notes were related to this damage, but I guess not necessarily.  Hmmm.

Like Ron suggested, I'm not sure how you test for termites.  I guess the customer was in effect asking me to do that. She left it on the carport, on it's back and took the bottom board off herself before she called me.  I guess she wanted me to wave my magic wand over it and pronounce it clean...so I did.  Hope it is!  If not, I'll find a way to round them up, and send them back to Wim in Hawaii where they belong.  I'll be sure not to use UPS as I want to be sure they arrive safe and sound! : )

I do imagine that the piano is clear of them after that amount of time, though, assuming the damage was from Hawaii. The wood was very dry (if they're addracted to moist wood), and no evidence of them in the wood, (wings, other parts, etc.).  The bottom board was made in my shop then installed in the home, so it's already "home". Termites...from what I understand, can't live without moisture so they set up camp in areas where they can return to the ground pretty easily for moisture. Without that, they would likely vacate the area in search of moisture.  I'm open to correction on that if I'm wrong, but that's what I thought I learned at some point.

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com
Rbushey at RichardsPianoService.com