[pianotech] high and outside

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 28 08:18:26 MDT 2012

I get a little scared at every tuning.................  Now my new hearing
aids are giving me just hell, so Friday I did most of a D with no hearing
aids, but with TL and what ears are left. One of the finer pianists (being
gorgeous didn't really make her pianist she is) was there critiquing every
note.  So, I guess there are a few more days left before I shoot myself like
a half dead horse-though I've never actually seen a horse shoot himself.I
guess every business has its hacks. I was called a month after a tuning by
the person who was the CTE in  my testing, another call from a person who
had used this person to "voice" his Schimmel.  I couldn't figure why he was
griping, except he said Mr. CTE had made his Schimmel louder rather than
softer.  I asked him to play 8 measures of anything, got out my regulation
tools and simply compromised aftertouch a bit to raise the let-off, and he
was a happy camper. I got a third call within a three month period about
work from this same person, who charges considerably more than I.  And I get
scared about my work on a regular basis......................

Was tuning the D Friday- oh the one who was not so long ago doing shopping,
and ended up because of board pressure not to take the time to fully
investigate yours( at SMU )and she said she really LOVED yours. But there
was the guy with the big money, who was quite impatient to "just get
something fast."
les