[pianotech] high and outside

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 28 08:53:17 MDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 9:31 AM, tunerboy3 at comcast.net wrote:
> Describe why it is then?
>
> Jerry Groot RPT
> www.grootpiano.com

Why what is, then? And if I spend the time, it'll be on the list instead
of private.

I tune a community college where the RH goes from 25% to 75% between
tunings. I find the bass very close to pitch, a half dozen at the low
tenor 30¢ off, and the mid tenor on up to be off, naturally, but nowhere
near even 1/4 semitone. Doing a pitch raise on a long neglected piano, I
find that the piano has, as the strings slowly finish rendering through
the bridge over a couple of weeks, dropped slightly and erratically in
pitch. I have NEVER seen a piano raised in pitch, that was over a half
semitone sharp over most of it 2-1/2 years later. Unless - it had been
left ridiculously sharp when it was last tuned.
So no, this is neither expected, nor usual.
Ron N