[pianotech] Was high and outside now silent pitch lowering

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Oct 28 19:49:07 MDT 2012

I think it's very bright, Tom.

Among other virtues, such as speed, you are treating each pin exactly
the same way, which
improves uniformity of result.

I've experimented with moving the pin a guessed amount without playing
the note. It's surprisingly
accurate. I suppose our right arms and hands have repeated this action
while our ears noted the
results so many times that they know what to do, even without the aural
reinforcement.
"What fires together, wires together." (Hebbian learning, it's called.)

If I'm doing a big pitch raise on an old and fragile-looking instrument,
I tune to pitch
quickly the first time, then I do any necessary overpull the second
time. My thinking is
that moving the wire the first time is the most risky, because it's
sometimes stuck in
place. By doing one pass only to pitch, the overpull on the second pass
is much less,
and the wire is moving from a new and unstuck place.

Susan Kline, in a land where pianos do not need pitch lowering every
year .... well,
a beat or two, like this week. A Hawaiian Wet Front just came through.
The place is
dripping wet and pretty warm as well. More like Brazil than Oregon.