[pianotech] Was high and outside now silent pitch lowering

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sun Oct 28 20:48:14 MDT 2012

I use TuneLab for pitch lowering or raising. I make a pass without mutes (since the display shows all the strings), and it calculates the overpull for each note.

I just did an 80-cent raise on a 5'3" grand, and the first pass brought everything to within five cents of target! Took me 17 minutes. Generally the bass sections take very little adjustment; the longest plain wire the most; and the top section varies a lot. Twisting every pin the same amount may be fast, but it's not accurate.

After the first pass, which identifies any action problems, I pull the action, clean, lubricate, adjust, etc., then do my final, careful pass.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM

www.shusterpiano.com