[pianotech] Kimball console leg

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Mon Oct 29 00:09:47 MDT 2012

You know those legs on little spinets/consoles that stand all by their
lonesome, with no bracing? So at the first sign of any lateral pressure
they break something?

Well, the one I saw last week had the threaded insert stripped in the
casework such that the insert it spins around without letting go of the
leg, so I couldn't get the leg off. But the screws into the case that would
let me get at the insert are blocked by the leg! Like one of those puzzles,
trying to figure out how to take it apart. I suppose I could hacksaw the
bolt off the leg, but then I'll have to extract a piece from the leg and
replace the stud, and then find a matching insert and somehow attach it in
what's left inside the casework.

Doesn't look like it'll be worth it since the piano is in marginal shape to
begin with.

Jim