[pianotech] high and outside

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Oct 29 06:06:11 MDT 2012

Ah, Jorge Bolet, one of the greats!

I recall when that Masterclass series was first shown on BBC television.
It was the first I had heard of Bolet, and I watched the series with
great interest and found his exposition compelling.

I love those great pianists who had grace and charm as well as music. I
can't be doin' with any suggestion of glum-faced asceticism.  Earl Wild
in his memoirs quotes Jorge Bolet as commenting on the "Urtext mob" who
claim fidelity to the music text, when in fact, no such thing as a
definitive text really exists for many pieces. And Chopin himself wrote
that he hoped musicians would not always play his pieces the same way.

Shura Cherkassky was another of that generation of great romantic pianists.

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk