[pianotech] Was high and outside now silent pitch lowering

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Oct 29 10:42:31 MDT 2012

Cy wrote <Twisting every pin the same amount may be fast, but it's not
accurate>

Cy,
   Twisting every pin the same is not meant to be accurate.
 I'm presented with a wildly out of tune piano that is 30  or more cents
sharp. Less that 10 minutes later I'm presented with a still out of tune
piano that is essentially at pitch.
   My speed tuning during the next step evens out the inaccuracies inherent
in the silent pitch lowering and the piano is then ready to tune .
 I'm not on a soapbox here as this is just something I'm fooling around with
but the recent example cited of the Steinway L was still musical enough and
at pitch for choir practice two weeks later.
  Remember this is not my regular procedure but is driven by time ,
circumstance and daring.
Besides it's kinda fun to find out how close I can get without listening.
Kind of like my high school daze.
   Best to all,

Tom "Hurricane "  Driscoll