[pianotech] pitch raises

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Mon Oct 29 19:19:11 MDT 2012

That's a good way to start, too.

I only jolt down the bass strings to loosen up crust at the termination points, but then bring them right up to pitch..  Usually, the bass is the last to go flat by my experience. I first find out where the a-440 should be and do a listening test from there to top and then bottom.  Sometimes, the bass is pretty close, like only 20 cents flat in the extreme cases. In the worst cases, I'll pull up the tension by octaves to even out the tension throughout the piano. Good for the plate tension distribution..at least was told that.years ago.made sense to me. I know this takes longer, but the tunings in the end are pretty solid. Again, I'm still in the dark ages using my ears.  ETD's are soon to come. Still good to do it this way with ETD's.  You'll know right away if it can't handle it. This can all be done in 2 hours if your sell your work by a 2 hour visit.

After pulling it up to pitch and over by 20 cents (again, if it can handle it) then set the A at 442, do a regular pitch raise and then tune fine tuning at 440 and it's pretty solid.

I know others do it their way, but have at it.  I never got a complaint after I was done.  Thank God I don't have to do this any more!  Now I whine when the humidity quickly dries up and the Steinway B in room 110 and is down 15 cents!  Waaaaaah!

Paul