[pianotech] Pitch Raising

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:57:41 MDT 2012

I find it rather humorous to read all this nit-picking over a pitch raise.
The purpose is to get it close. I don't know if you're going to
realistically get the treble much different with a 30%, 35%, or 38%
overpull. Translate the different overpulls into cents, and I bet you don't
come up with much real-world differences.

And each piano reacts somewhat differently. As an aural tuner, I have
gotten enough experience to know that certain pianos don't need as much
overpull. Get it close, do it fast, do it again if necessary. Tune. Then
watch it go out of tune by the next appointment. Happens every time. <G>

Yeah, in theory, the closer you get in the PR, the better the fine tuning
afterward. But reality is the same: a piano that has had a PR won't be as
stable as one that hasn't.

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS