[pianotech] Happy Snappy Piano Tuning

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 31 10:53:54 MDT 2012

Yes, I should have pointed that out - sometime you'd do two or three clicks and then the pitch would change 50 cents!

And yeah, the rewhatevered - I was trying to keep it clean on this public forum.

I was thinking lipstick on a pig - but I think you are closer - a pig would be assumed to be alive!

I actually went to tune this piano a couple weeks ago and gave the guy (who just bought this beauty) my standard information seminar on the route to the local landfill. He wasn't buying.

So I told him I was willing to attempt to make the piano "function". And actually, I was rather pleased that indeed, I was able to make it function. After pounding in all bass tuning pins - they were loose and many would not hold string tension (they were all a good 3/8" to 1/2" between plate and four-wrapped coil bottoms); crudely regulating the worst of the action - hammers were dug down into rest felt & let-off was probably a half-inch from strings (and that's those few that actually went through let-off); and regulated dampers - more than a dozen were adjusted so that the dampers didn't even seat - they were up in the air. But in the end it played and the strings quieted when you released the key. The guy was as happy as a piggy in mud - totally pleased. He even thought the tuning was great!  I didn't even want to listen to it after I was done - I knew how it sounded. I actually got a few unisons reasonably quiet - but most were left with some sort of a slow beat - was the best I could do.  :-(

Cashed his check this morning.  :-)

Terry Farrell