[pianotech] agraffe tools

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Wed Oct 31 12:18:26 MDT 2012

Over the years I’ve purchased agraffe tools to accomplish the task of removal and replacement.  Not all agraffes are alike I’ve learned.  I also learned how these tools break.  The one from Schaff cat #30 twisted loose at the junction of the shaft and the wider part.  I had a guy arc weld it back together and it got twisted off at me.  I threw it away.  The next tool I bought at a conference some place some time some where and it sported a three eighths drive on one end  ......  two different sizes .... a thick one and a not so thick one.  It sat in my tool collection for years, used it a few times, went to use it one day and it promptly broke.  One ear sloughed off as I applied torque.  I sat there and contemplated the history I’ve had with these tools and also considered ordering another one.  After about 20 minutes on the phone trying to locate the vendor I bought these things from, I finally decided I could make one in less time than the 10 days it would take to receive one  .........  if I could find one.

I’ve since made two of them.  This morning I made one in about 15 minutes using a Dremel and a large diameter reinforced grey cut off wheel.

The last image is the first one I made for a thicker styled agraffe.  I welded a junk piece of iron opposite the business end for a handle.  To save time I didn’t pretty things up a bit on that one.  This AM I looked through my collection of odd tools and found I made a spanner wrench in the same manner many years ago and decided to make it a two in one tool by “installing” the agraffe removal tool on the other end.   I think I made the spanner wrench to accommodate a nose bolt for a M&H grand.  This iron I think is most likely tool steel.  I heat it up to red hot and hit it with a hammer and the hammer bounces off of it barely leaving any indication that I hit it in the first place.  It also resists being drilled and it’ll flatten a center punch.  It’s as if the iron is giving me the fing  ........  uh.

I’ll try and include the images of them in this post.  If they don’t make the trip, I’ll repost on the OTHER list.

Lar