[pianotech] Was high and outside now silent pitch lowering

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Wed Oct 31 18:35:15 MDT 2012

Paul,

First, it is all about the kind of area and customer base.

Every pitch raise, major or minor, I tell the customer that I need to come back within a month for another tuning. They
just at me like I'm some kind of alien - even though, I explain that it is in pretty good shape now, however it is going
to go out between now and then.

And, yes, Cybertuner does make a major pitch raise for a decent tuning in one pass. Even though, after each tuning, I go
back and check octaves and unisons - usually with only a few minor adjustments.

I do not know about the others, but I started and am sold on Cybertuner - which is the one my mentor has used for a long
time.

As far as repeat customers, my gut tells me that my clientele is - not - the kind that keep their pianos up. Especially,
when I get told, usually, that "I can't remember that last time it was tuned", "it has been a long time ago - maybe 5
(to 25) years ago (since it was tuned last)", "it has never been tuned" or "it just sounds God awful, so I guess it's
time for a tuning". I even try to sell them on a "yearly" tuning. 99% of the time, they will say "I don't know but check
back with me anyway".

And, at least around me, more and more churches are "into" Praise Bands and "keyboards".

Even - *my* - church has a keyboard (for the sanctuary)  - and - a piano (Brambach, Baby Grand, S/N: 70951 (1929)) that,
I service, and it's sitting in the "Grand Hall" only used for "Special" occasions. (For it's age, it's great shape, new
hammers, new keytops, holds a tune very well, fully regulated, cabinet in descent shape) Supposedly, the "praise band"
director is waiting to get money for a piano truck before moving and using it in the sanctuary. (I've already had to fix
a broken leg on it because somebody did not know how to move the piano)

And, for the rest of the people, they already have the rest of the "established" tuners busy with will established
clientele (some for more than 25+ years)

So, bottom line, I would venture to say that I'm getting the last of the food chain <ugh>

Oh, on a final note, about 2 years ago, I did a 1000+ "intro and prices" mailing to all churches, schools, etc around my
area with only about 5-10 responses. (That in itself tells me a lot about the potential of this area)

Regards, Duaine