[pianotech] Piano stores in China - an interesting perspective

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Sep 5 00:59:22 MDT 2012

Yes, it is an interesting piece but the author does make some broadly
sweeping generalizations based on a relatively limited exposure to a few
piano stores in a limited geographical area-Shanghai.

Although he does accurately characterize one part of the piano market found
in today's China-I have also encountered piano stores like these in China-it
is unfair to assume that this describes all of the modern, constantly
evolving Chinese piano market. It should also be noted that there are still
a few piano dealerships in the U.S. that are not far removed from these. Not
as many today as, say, thirty years ago but there are still a few around.

I have also encountered excellently managed piano stores in China. Most
recently--two weeks ago-I visited a store called "Philharmonic Sound" in
Zhengzhou (in the Henan province in central China) where I found a wide
selection of some fifty to sixty mostly Chinese-built pianos all nicely
displayed and all well regulated, tuned and nicely voiced. Along with
several nice practice rooms, Philharmonic Sound has a separate recital hall
seating around 200 where regular performances featuring local and visiting
musicians are presented.

I agree that piano retail practices generally lags behind those of the U.S.
and/or Europe in many Chinese cities but, just as it was in the U.S. market
of thirty to forty years back, they are shaking themselves out rapidly. The
worst of the manufacturers, along with the worst of the dealers, are rapidly
falling by the wayside. Those that are surviving are the ones that are
figuring out how to make themselves more competitive by improving both their
presentation and their product offerings.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com