[pianotech] Tacoma, WA

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 23:00:08 MDT 2012

I have experience installing both types of systems. I have a number of
clients in Tacoma. Years ago I used to only recommend the partial system,
however, my  experience the past few years is that pitch is more
effectively maintained with a full system. Many forced air heating systems
create a fairly dry environment during the winter.

One theory I have as to why the full system is more effective is that the
air beneath the piano is constantly moving with a full system.

One important caveat however, is to make sure the client understands the
need to keep the full system properly serviced. I now recommend distilled
water if possible with a minimal amount of humidifier treatment. I find the
build up of minerals on the heating bar and pads is greatly reduced. If the
client is not that keen on keeping the system maintained, I recommend the
partial system, since it is basically care free.

It is true that we have a wonderful climate for pianos, and many 100 year
old instruments are working surprisingly well. But we still get significant
swings: I tuned my son's piano teachers Steinway "M" in may. When I last
checked it a  couple of weeks ago, it was at 444 - and the octaves across
the break sound pretty nasty. With a full system, you can almost keep the
piano in good tune throughout the entire year around here. More time for
voicing and regulating!

Ryan Sowers

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT