[pianotech] Repair to console music desk

chrisstor at aol.com chrisstor at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 10:34:07 MDT 2012

If the wood has splintered and the hole is blown open, then yeah, wood builder will be needed to do the repair.  You're essentially making a new hole.

Far more common is that the screw hole is stripped.  If that's the case, then a brass threaded insert might do the trick.  I've repaired a music desk with these gizmos before:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/fasteners/Threaded-Inserts/thread-inserts-for-wood/m3-05-insert-for-hard-wood-brass-400-m3?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Thread-Inserts-For-Wood-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CNzxqtDuo7ICFUhN4Aod8UwAMA

A few words of advice using these:
The thickness of the music desk has to be enough to accept the smallest size insert.  Check your I.D.s and your O.D.s before starting to see if this repair is right for you.
The stripped screw hole is enlarged with a drill bit to accept the threaded insert.  Follow the instructions for the drill bit size.
When installing the insert, I clamp the wood.  Some of the music desks are constructed like plywood, and unless the edge of the wood is clamped during installation, the insert will blow open your new (even larger) hole at the edge.
The original wood screw pivot is discarded.  The insert's inner diameter takes machine threading. I think the smallest size was 6, with 32 tpi, but I can't remember for sure.  I just used a small brass screw with machine threading.
Don't forget to tighten the pivots on the console as your reinstalling the desk.
Bring felt balance punchings with you to reinstall.  They take up any slack and prevent buzzing.

Chris S.