[pianotech] glue sizing balance holes

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Sep 9 09:23:28 MDT 2012

List,
  I have a regulation job where the key bushings  have been replaced in
good order but the balance holes are inconsistently sloppy loose.
An archive search revealed several glue sizing suggestions( including
one from me) .
  I'm gonna try Ron N's suggestion of using Elmer's  glue all mixed with
water.
My method was to use liquid hyde glue thinned with hot water but the
thread suggested that Elmer's would be quieter.
So my questions---- It was suggested that swabbing the hole with alc .
would break surface tension and help the introduction of the glue to the
pores.
  Necessary ?  And does it help to have the glue-water mix hot ?
I have to be careful of course to not contaminate the key bushings as
I'm on a limited budget here and need to focus my time on the other aspects
of the job .
  I'm waiting for noon on this lovely Sunday for my hardware store to
open as Elmers has not passed through the shop door in quite some time.
Advice appreciated .
Tom D