[pianotech] alternative to new bridge

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 9 17:28:03 MDT 2012

On 9/9/2012 6:09 PM, Gene Nelson wrote:

> After calculating a new scale, I have the lower tenor part of the bridge
> figured ok - adding 5 bi-chords and a shorter aux bridge joined to the
> original.
> However, the upper tenor to the top is another question.
>>From note 53 to the lo-tenor works out very well but note 54 to the top
> requires that I lengthen the spl's by 10mm tapering to 3mm in order to get a
> decent scale. Means a big dog leg at the strut.

not an uncommon need, by a long shot.

> I thought of adding material to the back side of the bridge and machining
> the opposite to keep the bridge width close to original.

That's exactly what I'd do if I was reusing the old bridge. Make sure it
will either clear the plate, or that you can grind the necessary plate
clearance.

> Or - possibly cutting the bridge at the strut, repositioning 3mm back at the
> top and just rotating it to get the 10 mm at the strut, then rejoining with
> epoxy and a new bridge cap and maybe a couple of filler pieces to help round
> it off at the dog leg. Anybody think that cutting the bridge like that would
> be a bad idea?? It's probably a bit less work.

I wouldn't separate the bridge. I'd keep as much of the continuous
structure of the original as I could by scabbing the back side,with a
stack of say, 2.5-3mm slabs, shaping the new curve, recontouring the
front to parallel, and recapping the whole thing.

Ron N