[pianotech] alternative to new bridge

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 9 18:23:58 MDT 2012

On 9/9/2012 6:51 PM, Gene Nelson wrote:

> *** Clearance is good, no plate grinding necessary.

So far so good.

> ***I have some 1/16" flat sawn maple veneer or I could cut up some denser
> maple stock.

I'd use the 1/16". Quicker. Already cut. Will work fine.

>I've got a back post from an old upright waiting for a new
> home.

Those make really good belly rail braces, so don't be in a big hurry to
cut it up. I used take out tongue and groove maple flooring for years to
build bridge roots. I have some 3/4" left from a racquetball court, and
a whole bunch of 1" roller rink stock. It resaws and works just like
brand new expensive stuff.

>Probably a good idea to quarter the stock,

Not necessary. And if you thought it was, the flat cut 1/16" on edge
vertically *IS* quartered.

>trim the scabbing, epoxy it
> up and clamp in place. It should bend ok to match the contour at 2 to 3mm.

Exactly, with the 1/16" (1.5mm), though flattening the curve some and
adding another layer is probably better with 2-3mm.

> Thanks,

Any time.
Ron N