[pianotech] Steinway back checks

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 12 07:39:56 MDT 2012

Since I'm obviously the only one challenged by keeping fingers away from blades I'll just keep my mouth shut about that. An olfa cutter does help with safety issues, as does working slower and more carefully. Skolnik is absolutely right about the trouble of working with a whole skin, thickness varies tremendously as does direction and amount of stretch. Ecsaine is a good option. I use a clothes pin reversed to clamp the bottom with out too much pressure.

---Dave Doremus