[pianotech] Steinway back checks

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 10:39:29 MDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: John Formsma
I've only done recovering backchecks once. Used Ecsaine from Pianotek.
Tried the clothespin method, but didn't like it because the ecsaine
slid around a lot. What worked well was holding it down a couple
seconds to let the hide glue set. Then I used painter's tape (the blue
stuff) to "clamp" it in place. Seemed to work well.

I recover them by gluing all the covering strips on the back of the
backcheck first.  I use hot hide glue, and just press and hold perhaps
4 seconds, with the strip pulled over the front, then set them down to
dry with the leather sticking up in the air.  By the time I have done
the set like this, I just go back and, with a smear of hide glue on the
bottom surface of the backcheck, clamp them with a 1/2" square of thick
veneer and a spring clamp. Goes fast, that way.

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html