[pianotech] Brambach Grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 14:13:09 MDT 2012

Rex said:
"I looked at a 1925 Brambach grand today that had an action that I don't
remember having seen before. The only thing I had with me was my phone and
it was in the customer's house so the attached pictures are a bit blurry and
I could not take the end bracket off and get a good shot. I have included a
rough drawing that can be compared to the pictures.

The specific differences from a standard action are as follows:

1. The balancer stops at the jack and has a spoon that passes
through the jack for drop regulation.

2. The spring for the jack is a coil spring similar to an upright
and is located under the whippen beam.

3. The knuckles are shaped into the hammer shank and covered with
leather with no under felt (similar to the tear drop? shaped built in
knuckle only flatter). The knuckle is long so that it sits both on the top
of the jack and the top of the balancer end.

I am sure someone has run into this action before. Besides having to make
any replacement parts, does anyone know if there are issues with regulation
and/or geometry? Is there any other information available about this
action?

The person is looking sell the piano. Does anyone have any good or bad
experiences with this brand?

Thank you in advance for you help."

Rex,
I own one.<G> There are those who curse the Brambach, I am not one of
them.<G> They were, what I would call: Lower Mid-range pianos. Not bad, but
not great, either.<G> Mine has two actions, one rebuilt and the original
Rock n Roller..(but that's another story.<G>) I purchased the piano with an
Anvil Case. Painted it white, since the case was a disaster and have used
it for a loaner and rental for a lot of years. Easy to transport and set up.
You did not say what size this piano is. Mine is a 5' (+). Tonally not
anything to write home about.
As for parts, I do make action parts, ya know.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police