[pianotech] Jesse French Grand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 15 05:51:48 MDT 2012

On 9/15/2012 12:47 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Ron,
> The fact remains that the Unichorda came before this rather strange
> configuration. It was something "new" at the time of it's inception, which
> was something from the Harpsichord technology of the the time. This Thang
> on the Jesse French was a whole different animal, and I suspect it was one
> of those Edsel ideas that didn't fly very well up against the existing Left
> Pedal/Unichorda.

Yep, could well be. It's certainly an Edsel. Who's explored it's musical
potential against the "standard"? Hands?

>Don't think "Cheap" had a damned thing to do with it.

When it came to building it, compared to a simple shift lever, you bet
your balance sheet it had something to do with it. We don't know what
the Edsel can do, but it wasn't apparently fantastic enough to be worth
the cost of production.

Maybe if Chickering had thought of it first... <G>
Ron N