[pianotech] Action ration measuring

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 17:46:54 MDT 2012

Hello David Brown!

The answers you seek will take a bit of explaining along with good
drawings, some formulas and accurate definitions. Follow this up with
action model testing and very careful measuring (to make several points).
For starters, on the bench, extreme accuracy is not required in measuring
off the six lever arms, but reasonably good accuracy *is* required. Knowing
where and why to measure the arms at particular points is another thing.
The line of compliance (so called Magic Line) is overrated as a critical
item. Nice to have it if possible (usually close anyway, if not right on,
in many cases), but secondary to emphasis on the lever arms, action ratio
and weight / inertia issues.

I started a paper on this and hope to complete it before the Mayan calendar
runs out.

I will be giving a class on exactly these items at WestPac III in Phoenix
next March 2013; perhaps you can make it.

In the meantime, if you require this information soon, please call me (you
have my cell #) and be prepared to spend some time on the phone and have a
pencil and pad handy.

I expect others may want to get the ball rolling at this point.

Regards

Nick

--
Nick Gravagne, RPT