[pianotech] Action ration measuring

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 19:21:44 MDT 2012

Thanks Ron.  Question.  How did the jack knuckle contact point that you used
compare to the jack center pin?  Were they close?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

Keeping the measured levers close to parallel with one another, and the
resulting force close to perpendicular to the levers - Try

Key in: 20mm from front, along bottom to balance pin center Key out: balance
pin center, along bottom to point below capstan position, perpendicular to
key Wip in: center pin, parallel to wip beam to perpendicular line to
capstan contact point Wip out: center pin, parallel to wip beam to
perpendicular line to knuckle contact point Hammer in: knuckle core center,
parallel to shank to center pin Hammer out: center pin to roughly center of
mass of hammer

With my old Teflon centered, felt knuckled Steinweigh action model, I get -
sorry, no pretty formatting???

Key In - bottom 20mm from end to bottom balance		220
Key Out - bottom balance to bottom capstan position	114
KeyRatio	1.93
Wip In - capstan pos, level to flange center pin	65
Wip Out - center pin level to knuckle contact point	82
WipRatio	1.26
Hammer In - knuckle core to center pin			16
Hammer Out - center pin to center of hammer mass	130
ShankRatio	8.13
TotalRatio Distance Leverage	5.31

Key Down at pin	6
Hammer Rise	32