[pianotech] Action ration measuring

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Sep 22 09:30:10 MDT 2012

Using your method (if I understood it correctly) I get the following on my
action model.  The measurement of dip to hammer travel yields 37/6 or 6.16.
Interestingly, your method of measuring the levers yields a lower AR than my
method (measuring the key to the end and the wippen to the jack center pin)
yet moving the dip measurement 20 mm in from the end of the key will, of
course, produce a higher action ratio than mine measuring at the end of the
key.

On my model the best correlation between levers and displacement (for lack
of a better term) is measuring to the end of the for the key in (along the
bottom of the key as you do) and measuring the wippen out to the jack center
pin as I posted earlier. Perhaps these things are action specific, though
it's hard to imagine why.  Anyway, on my action model Ron's method yields:

Key

240

128

	0.53

Wippen

63

83

	1.32

	Action Ratio

Shank

17

127

	7.47

	5.25

Displacement: 37/6 = 6.16.

The graphics, btw, are because I was copying from my spread sheet.  Don't
know what this will look like when it gets transposed back to plain text.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com