[pianotech] Odd upright event

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 08:23:42 MDT 2012

Was tuning this story and clark upright the other day and it had an odd
problem.  When the sustain pedal was depressed and just after the dampers
cleared the strings, the bottom of the damper levers near the bass tenor
break contacted the bass strings.  Made a rather awful sound as you can
imagine.  Restricting the movement of the pedal would not have been a good
fix as it would not have allowed the dampers to clear the strings
adequately.  Never seen something like that.  I sent them back to the dealer
to get it resolved as it wasn't something I wanted to invest any significant
amount of time in but I'd be curious as to theories.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com