[pianotech] Curiously curvaceous repetition lever

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Sep 25 03:16:12 MDT 2012

Thanks for all your responses folks.  I was asked to examine this piano
with a vew to doing a bit of work on it.  I only had my smartphone
camera, and not too much time as they had visitors arriving.  I expect
to be working on the piano and will take lots more photos.

Dale, I do love the suggestion about the musical mice. How I'd love to
hear their charming little sonatas.  (I cannot hear Liszt's Hungarian
rhapsody number 2 now without hearing the extra things in it from the
wonderful Bugs Bunny version with the mouse).

Don, I can't tell you how I was itching to get the vacuum out the car
and suck out all that dust and old mildew there and then!  The
soundboard is filthy too, and the funny thing is, they paid a lot of
money to have the case re-finished some years ago.

The jacks do indeed have loops  attached to them and the repetition
spring has a hook on the end that engages with the loop.  Not unlike a
Herrburger Brooks grand action, but with the long spring running
underneath the wippen, instead of above it inside the wippen/repetition
assembly.

When I played the piano it felt to me a bit like it had a D-Type Spring
& Loop action. Not very "poised".

Best regards,

David.