[pianotech] Curiously curvaceous repetition lever

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Mon Sep 24 21:36:58 MDT 2012

Finally a good reason to keep the "big" computer: I can see the spring.
It hinges in the repetition lever at a pin just forward (toward the
player) from the rep lever height screw, at the back end of the lever.
Its upper wing terminates above, at a tension adjusting screw accessed
from the top of the rep lever. It departs from a slot at the bottom of
the rep lever, again just forward of the rep lever height screw, and
makes an arc that passes downward and through a slot in the wippen heel,
continuing forward until it reaches the bottom of the jack, perhaps
there's a little toe there. So when front of the rep lever stops at the
drop screw, and the wip continues to push upward, the still-rising rear
of the lever tensions the spring, pulling the bottom of the jack
backward, thus throwing the top of the jack back forward toward its rest
position. Or so I surmise.

~Mark Schecter