[pianotech] Capstan installation

Brown, David dcbrown at mail.smu.edu
Fri Sep 28 11:30:22 MDT 2012

All-

Great question Ed . I am changing the subject to ask what methods are used to install capstans after determining the proper placement? I have tried various ways and have never been completely happy with the results . Pressing them in with a drill press after drilling and chamfering the hole worked best, but still difficult to keep things from leaning in different directions in the soft keys.

DB

 Greetings,
    I think this would be a good time to hear from those that can
distinguish between actions with identical ratios, but different
knuckle distances, (which, of course, infers that the capstan placement
is different.)
  Is there a difference between an action with a low key ratio on a 16
mm knuckle distance and one that has a higher key ratio on a 17 mm
knuckle distance?
regards,

David C. Brown RPT
Piano Technician