[pianotech] Keep Mehlins Weird

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Sep 29 14:44:02 MDT 2012

I don't recall that particular "feature." I do remember that the ribs were
not feathered out at the ends. At least not by much.

It's pretty hard to figure out the reasoning behind a lot of what Mehlin
did. Particularly since so much of it was contradictory. For example, I
understand why they needed to provide the cutout at the end of the tenor
bridge but I don't understand why they ran the bridge over that far over to
begin with. I also understand why they cut big holes in that very tall bass
bridge-they needed to get some of the weight out of it-but I don't
understand why they made it so tall and heavy in the first place.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com