[pianotech] PianoDisc Solution was PD help and a ?

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 18:15:43 MDT 2012

Well after much frustration and 9 driver board installs and pain from crawling under and out from under my piano, the PD IQ Airport Express is finally working.
The problem was PD sent me and kept sending me bad driver boards that were not tested and had a problem in the transistors.  They said it was from manufacturer and they are insisting on better quality from them in the future.
I have been really flying by the seat of my pants with calibration but have learned a great deal and have a good basic understanding of the system's performance ability.  One of the biggest concerns I have is how soft can I get it to play - I know this will be a question future customers will want to know.  Regulation is critical but so is knowing how to tweak the IQ parameters.
Also, pedal regulation is very important.  Since the trapwork is changed much care must be taken to avoid strange goings on with the dampers and the underlevers.  I wont go into detail but since I have been playing since I was 5 and I am a classical player the feel of the pedal was a challenge to get right.  That too is still not quite perfect but should have the bugs worked out tomorrow.
I am now going on to the next install of the Piano Disc family and that is the record possibilities.  But I will put that in a separate post.
Thanks again for the help
Steven Hopp RPTmidland, TX