[pianotech] Totally glueless

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 05:30:27 MST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Nossaman

>> Agreed, there obviously will though the mechanical coupling that was
there could have been better with glue, it was apparently adequate to
not draw attention to any lack of acoustic coupling - whatever that is
exactly.>

          Apparently adequate?  That is an assumption. I haven't said
what this
thing sounded like. It may have been difficult to draw attention to
poor bass bridge coupling with wild strings, worn out action, and a
small
room. Hardly evidence that a loose bridge doesn't make a difference in
the sound.

   >>I've tried to explain my reasoning, so how about describing to me
what acoustic coupling is, how it differs from simple mechanical
attachment, and how I might recognize it when I can't hear the
difference.>

     Acoustic coupling relates to how efficiently energy passes through
things which are joined.  Glue one of your bridges on with PVC-E glue.
It will be mechanically coupled, but acoustically it will not be the
same as a less compliant  glue. Why is this so hard to accept? I have
an older Martin guitar.  It had a bridge that was coming loose. Though
the strings went through it, and it was still mechanically coupled to
the top, the difference in response when the bridge was reglued was
obvious. Cantilevered hardwood on spruce...

  >> Regardless, if you can't trust your own ears, how can you in good
conscience sell your services tuning and voicing?Ron N

            I trust my ears because I know exactly where they deviate
  from the ideal. If your ears are the same as they were 40 years ago
you
are the exception to the rule.   And my conscience is kept amazingly
clear by working for professional people who spend top dollar and have
no qualms at
all about pointing out anything done that they don't think is ideal.
  If you want to make the case that glue is not needed if a bass apron
has a couple of screws in it, go right ahead. I have a very different
opinion.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html