[pianotech] butt plates

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 1 06:08:28 MST 2013

Hi Everyone,I went to tune an old old Lester upright yesterday, so tall I had to stand up to try and work on it.  It had butt plate screws.  I found at least two hammes so loose they were just blocking up the key when one would try and play it.  I've only had minimal exposure to thiis set up ,but wanted to know do butt plate screws fee llike a tiny tiny bump when they are n ot tightened, or is that something else I'm feeling?  Also what type of screw driver do you guys use?  I have the typical regulating screw drivers that came with the regulating kit when I left the school, the regulating tools that came with that black canvas tool roll.  I think Randy Potter provides that with his course, but I could be incorrect. I just remember receiving this from the school.  Also how do you guys work around that long jack that is in the way?  When I stick the screwdriver in between the back checks I can tap and feel the metal rail.  However I'm having trouble getting on that screw.  So is there a special screw driver you might recommend?  If the screw was missing all together, there wouldn't be a little nub protruding correct?  I do have this small blade screwdriver with a long skinny schaff, but that doesn't seem to get onto the screw either.  the main trouble seems to be the jack that's in the way, but my fingers are too big to get in between the other parts to move that jack out of the way.  I'm sure there is an easier way to tighten these.  I can hear the pin on the hammer butt hitting the metal as I sit in down on the rail.  Could the plate be missing as well?  I'm unclear I think as to what I need to be feeling.    ThanksMarshall

Marshall Gisondi
MARSHALL'S PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com