[pianotech] Totally glueless and worse

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 1 09:29:46 MST 2013

On 2/1/2013 10:11 AM, Euphonious Thumpe wrote:
> Oh --- except one more (which I will begin with the generally derided
> "Seems to me").
>
> Seems to me that a shock-wave sent laterally through an object relies on
> the non-compressibility of the molecules, atoms, or subatomic particles
> that the object is comprised of to thus travel.

Good enough.

>Which is definable as
> the resistance of said particles to being permanently pushed together
> (as in smushed) by an applied force or blow, so that after an initial
> displacement from their normal orientation (or orbits) they mysteriously
> return to their preferred "stasis",* creating what we call elasticity.

Yep.

> Of course, this phenomenon is most easily observed in an oscillating,
> stretched string, as the energy added to it in terms of spatial
> displacement passes through it, then dissipates as heat in the ends, and
> the body it is connected to at the ends; and, in a piano, the soundboard
> and air and other surrounding room components. But the energy
> transmission in a body NOT thus oriented (like a stretched string) will,
> unless extreme, not happen in a visually observable fashion. Which does
> not mean, though, that it does not exist. Nor that it cannot, when
> transferred through the material to an amenable structure (such as a
> soundboard) BECOME visually, or aurally, observable.

I never said that vibrations of any sort didn't exist. I said that the
primary action is strings moving the bridge.

> That's my opinion. If I encounter adequate data to change it, I shall.
> In the meantime, though, "just in case"** it is correct, I shall
> diligently ensure that each and every glue joint on every piano I
> rebuild will be filled and secured with the hardest possible substance I
> can squeeze into it, so that the soundboard MAY avail itself of whatever
> vibrations are passing through the case in this shock-wave fashion.

Fair enough. I shall continue to do something similar, insuring as
strong a mechanical connection as I can so the parts will move as they
should, producing as good a sound as I can manage.

> *According to God, the "Laws of Physics" or who/whatever decides such
> things per material, that are not typically altered by we mere mortals.

Again, my point. Belief isn't reality, whoever has the arrogance to
presume to speak for God.

This is too far over the line. I'm done.
Ron N