[pianotech] butt plate screws

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Feb 1 21:44:45 MST 2013

Marshall, sometimes it's possible to just lean the action forward enough
to get at the butt plates.
Especially if you're doing it for the first time, you may have an easier
time of it if you remove
two damper levers next to the broken butt plate, so you can have access.
A bright light helps, too.

A customer just gave me a nifty LED maglite. It's SOOOOO bright! I saw
things with it (when fixing
butt plates on a Farrand ex-player recently) better than I've seen in
years.

There's a little tool to suspend a butt plate in position while you turn
the screw to hold it in.
Schaff will have it. Sometimes you need to bend the little end of it a
bit to get it to hold the
butt plate securely.

Take the hammer out first (undo the bridle tape), after you've taken out
the cracked or
broken plate suspend the new butt plate down where it goes ... Oh, and
you should move the hammer
spring to a neighboring note till you're all finished, then put it back
in its groove.

Start the screw from behind into the new plate, then stop turning before
the screw gets
tight. You have to leave it loose enough for the hammer's center pin to
slide in. Remove
the holder. Work to keep the new butt plate upright. Then put the hammer
back in. You'll be
able to slide it along between the butt plate and the tab of the long
rail, and you'll feel it
find the groove. Then you finish tightening the little screw from
behind. If everything is
working right, you then put back in the two damper levers you removed
earlier.

It can be a fuss, but there are many of these pianos out there. Repair
clips for the broken
tabs are even more of a fuss. And for anything made by Kimball, the butt
plates aren't threaded,
the tabs are. You need special Kimball butt plates, and Kimball repair
clips.

If you need to repair the broken tabs with repair clips, you'll also
need the slightly
longer screws, but they will be provided with the repair clips.

It can be a pain. If you drop the old broken butt plate (OR the new one)
you can't pick
them up with a magnet, because they are brass. If the tab breaks off,
you have to file it
down just the right amount for the repair clip to fit in.

On the other hand, most pianos with a brass rail use standard butt
plates, and work perfectly
well when the bad ones have been replaced. And then they find a few more
for you to fix later.
They are usually big beautiful uprights, and some still sound very good.

Susan