[pianotech] First Pinbock

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 02:18:43 MST 2013

I would see this as a chance to upgrade the original construction. By adding some hardwood laminate to the back structure and/or, perhaps even better, bolting a large pice of angle steel (high-carbon spring steel grade, to resist bending) to the back of the piano and across the top of the block (routing out a bit if needed, so the lid still closes.) I'm, doing this on a big, art-case upright now, using a piece of 5" leg steel angle, 1/4" thick and about 5' long. The big upper plate lags will be replaced with bolts that go through it.

Thumpe