[pianotech] First Pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Feb 5 20:09:44 MST 2013

On 2/4/2013 12:04 PM, David Love wrote:
> I don't drill in the piano and while I do as much fitting as is reasonable
> and don't "pile on" the epoxy I still often get some minor squeeze out
> depending on the piano and the proximity of the tuning pin or screw holes to
> the edge.

Minor squeeze out makes more sense, as epoxy can travel quite a way.
What you're describing isn't very likely to contaminate a freshly
drilled pin hole. That's all.

>I don't think I'm particularly sloppy in this but I like enough
> material there to insure a 100% fit across the flange.

Me too, only I might well be sloppy by some standards, as I get a fair
amount of squeeze out underneath, which I mop up.

> The point is I don't think *not* doing the final mating with the material of
> choice as the last step before everything goes together runs any real risk
> compromising the mating if you install at least some of the plate screws
> during the mating process itself.

Perhaps not. I originally organized my method for efficiency. The
undisturbed epoxy joint was a secondary bonus of sorts/

> Different strokes.

Many.
Ron N