[pianotech] practice rail issue

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 5 21:52:46 MST 2013

Hi, Marshall:
I can't understand the muffler rail situation without pictures.  I've worked on tons of Young Changs, but nothing like what you describe.  The muffler rails on the Young Chang pianos I worked on had a rod bent 90 degrees at the end, and which engaged the left bracket of the muffler rail.  The spring connects to that bracket, with the other end of the spring hooked to a screw eye inside the case.  The spring pulls up on the bracket, so if the pedal rod isn't hooked to the bracket, the spring will lift the rail as high as it can.  What I think is happening is that the connecting rod to the pedal is grossly misadjusted.  There is a plastic turnbuckle just behind the knee board which adjusts the muffler rail.  Often that turnbuckle is broken, or the rod which threads into it has come out.  Of course, that would mean that the pedal is no longer connected to the muffler rail at all.  Something doesn't add up, so it would have been better if you had some photos of it.
As far as the squeaking damper lift rod, you need to find where the damper rod hangersbrackets are, and use some kind of lube (Protek or Goose Juice) there.  No need to remove the lift rod.
Hope that helps.
Paul McCloud
San DIego