[pianotech] "Build your own piano" book, was: L.W. Foster Piano?

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 18:38:31 MST 2013

 <<  I saw a book once from the early 1900's with plans for building your
own piano. >>

   I have a copy of one such book.  It's "Pianos:  Their Construction,
Tuning, and Repair," edited by Paul N. Hasluck, printed by Cassell and
Company, Ltd., London.   First printed 1905; reprinted thru at least 1928.
  I just read through it quickly once.  I don't remember where they
suggested getting the plate from -- it might've been a simple
straight-strung piano (no overstrung bass), with metal struts instead of a
full plate.
    What's interesting is the language and the names of some of the tools,
such as a bow drill (requires no electricity, but works like a Boy Scout's
bow and stick for starting fires with no matches), a hinge pusher, casting
tongs, sticker hooks, toning needle, etc.

--David Nereson, RPT